Skip to main content

3rd Year Project - Poster design

As part of my hand-in for this project, I had to design a poster of A1 size, so that I could have it for our film screening. This was difficult for me, as to design the poster, I decided to use Adobe Photoshop, however I had not used this programme before, so had to learn about it as I went along, and sometimes asked friends for help and advice. 

As the poster had to be A1 sized, I took a screenshot from my film that I wanted to use as my poster image, and imported it into Photoshop. I set the image size to A1 measurements, and started to design. I had the colour of the title, 'The Lunch Club' as a yellow, however I wasn't happy with the way that this looked. I had used red first of all, as the text was becoming lost in the colour of the sky on the image, so was becoming hard to read. This looked very wrong, so I just kept it as white for the time being. As I don't have a great eye for colour and design,. I asked a few friends what colour they think would suit the poster image, and they suggested something a bit darker than the yellow, and to also change the font type, as it didn't match the style of my documentary. I took those points in, and changed the design of the text, and ended up with a more professional font in a dark orange colour. 

Poster design - Title is done

The poster could not just be this, however. As this was a university project, I also had to include the logo for the university, as well as the name of my production studio, Variouslens Productions. I imported these logos and then placed them at the bottom of the poster. However, I then realised that I couldn't do this, as I had to remove the white background from each of the logos, and before I started that, I realised that you would not be able to read the logos, as the bottom of the poster is quite dark. There is also the fact that I would be writing some other information, such as the Producer, Director and thanking people, in between the two logos, which I thought made it look neater, but being at the bottom of the poster means that you would not be able to see it. Therefore, I placed both of the logos in the top corners, with the extra information above the Church. 

When I had placed the two logos and the extra information, I moved on to removing the white backgrounds from the two logos. However, as  I was halfway through removing the white background from the university logo, a friend said that there was a version on google images with a clear background, so I could insert it onto my poster and not have to do anything with it, so I stopped working on the logo I had, deleted it, and then inserted the new logo, which looked perfect. When I was removing the white background on my production studio logo, I noticed that the highlight tool, which I was using to select the white parts so that I only erased them, was often selecting the black text, as the text had white inside it. Because of this, removing the background took a lot longer than I thought it was going to. Despite this, I still enjoyed designing this poster, despite the image that I used not being my first choice. My preferred poster was going to be the volunteers looking at the camera as if they were welcoming people through the Church doors and into the club. However, I was not able to get this image as the Church was being renovated, so was off limits.

The Final version of the Poster



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and