Skip to main content

3rd Year Project: My Project Shoot Day 5

This shoot is on the 27th March, and is very important, as it it going to be my last chance to be able to get footage from the Lunch Club, as they are not holding one in April. Because of this, I have to make sure that I get all of the shots that I need. I had a meeting with my tutor and a producer who came in to review our work, and they both said that the shots that I had gotten the last time I was at the Club were really good, but it was mostly of inside the club. I needed to get a lot more shots of people arriving, both volunteers and customers, in order to give more of a sense of the club being built up for the day, and to show a feeling of community and coming together.

As the shoot was an early start, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to be able to give me a hand, but one person said that they could help, but only for a few hours as he had a shoot for his project later that day, which I was still grateful for. we got there at about 9:45, as the volunteers usually get there at about 10:00 to set up everything before people start arriving. When the volunteers started arriving, we got some shots of them walking down the path towards the club, and a few panoramic shots of them going round the corner and into the door. When we had gotten a few people on film, I went inside to get a few extra shots of the volunteers setting up the kitchen and the food, not to mention the hall where the tables will be. 

When my friend had to leave, it was about 30 minutes until customers would start to arrive, so I had a chance to get some extra general shots of the club being set up. When customers started arriving, I set up the camera just like when the volunteers were arriving. I knew that I couldn't really ask every one who arrived to walk in again, so I had to be quick and make sure that I tried to get some people walking along the path, and then also through the door. I wanted these shots so that them entering the club would be a smoother transition, rather than them just appearing from behind the door. 

When my tutor had reviewed my edit, he said that the interview with my grandad seemed out of place, as we do not see him at the club, so it looks like a random person is introduced to the story. I took this advice and asked if my grandad could come to the club, which he did. I managed to get a good shot of him walking up the path towards the club, and coming through the door. 

I managed to get a few more interviews that I would possibly be able to use in my edit to give a bit more detail about what the club means to people. There were two people that I interviewed that I had never seen at the club before, so I wanted to interview them as I thought that having a fresh look at the club would be good to include in my film. 

When the club was finishing, I shot some more shots of the volunteers clearing up the tables and making the kitchen clean, plus the customers leaving after their meals. 

If I was to do this shoot day again, I think I would have more of a plan set, as there were a few times where I was rushing to get certain shots, such as thinking I had spent to much time indoors, so missed a few people arriving. I think I would also be more confident in asking people if they can redo some shots for me, as I feel like not asking them to do that caused me to not be able to fully use certain shots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and