Skip to main content

3rd Year Project - Colour grading the edit

Original shot
On the various edits that I had done in the past, I had not realised the importance of colour grading. When I first attempted it on my edit, I was having difficulty in making the colours the in the same scene look similar, as the two camera shots were from two different cameras, so the footage was quite different. The scene took place in an interviewee's house, and I thought that the footage would look good, as she had a red sofa, so I though that the contrast between that and the cream walls would look good. However, when I came to do the colour grading, I thought that I would start with these scenes, as I wanted to see how they looked afterwards. It was here that I realised how difficult it can be to colour grade, as I found it difficult to match the sofa colour between the two camera shots, due to them being different makes of camera as mentioned before. Also, when it seemed that I was starting to make the colours seem similar, the shot would become darker than I wanted it to be, and changing the exposure caused the red to change brightness again. 
Colour Graded shot
Original shot

Because of this problem, as well as a couple of others I encountered, I decided to leave the colour grading until I had gotten the shots that I wanted all together to make the story that I wanted to tell. It was a little while later that I found out that someone called Nathan Caws was going to be coming in to teach us some colour grading tips and techniques, plus get an hour on one-on-one time with him to have a look at out projects. This was really helpful as he is a professional colour grader, so having him have a look at my documentary, and talk me through the processes of colour grading, was very insightful, and afterwards I was able to colour grade the rest of my film with a lot more confidence. There were some shots that I thought looked perfect after being colour graded, such as some of the panoramic shots of the club, which looked very yellow. By reducing the saturation levels and  highlighting the blacks and shadows in the shot, we managed to make these shots look a lot more natural. Also, I asked Nathan to have a look at the shots that I had already attempted, the interview on the red sofa, and we managed to make them look a lot better, again by changing the saturation levels and adjusting the vibrance of the whites and shadows in the shot
Colour Graded shot










Original shot


Colour Graded Shot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and