Skip to main content

Directions unit: Evaluation

Overall, the making of my film went well, despite some problems during set up with location and actors. However, this was sorted and the filming went along with no problems. This was an enjoyable topic that taught me many things about being a director.

The main problem that I had with setting up my film was with the location. The problem was that the location that I had chosen, Milton Creek country park fishing lakes, was ones by the local fishing club, which I did not know, despite living in the area for all my life. When I found this out, I managed to get in contact with the Chairman of the club, Bob locke, who said he would put my request to use the lakes in my film to a board, and get back to me with their decision as soon as possible. He then contacted me the next day, and said that the board members declined my request. I then look at some maps of sittingbourne to see if there were andy more bodies of water that I could use, and then found one at the other end of the country park. I scouted the area and would be able to film there if I made some changes to my shot list. I then proceeded to get in contact with Martyn Castle, from Kent county council, who passed on my request to the Kent film office, who granted me permission to use the area for two days to film. When filming time came, everything went very well.

There was also some problems acquiring actors. I searched on castingcallpro.com and found some people that I thought would fit the roles that I needed. However, the ones that I contacted were unable to come to sittingbourne to help, a couple had travel expenses to much for my budget, and about 3 didn't reply to the messages that I left them. This eventually became a problem, as I still needed roles filled, so I had to ask my family and friends if they would be able to be in my film. I did not want to do this as I wanted to try and be more professional for this topic. However, one of my family who was acting was a gamble, as his girlfriend, my cousin, was pregnant, and was close to due date. I took the risk, but it fell through, as he had to drop out the day before the shoot, so my brother had to take the part, and a friend of mine had to take his role of Buddy. On the other hand, the one actor that I did manage to secure who I didn't know worked really well in the role, and I would recommend her to others.

If I were to do this again, there are several things that I would do differently, such as try and contact more actors, possibly from other casting websites, in order to increase the chance that more people will get back to me and say if they can or can't do the shoot. I would also do more research into my chosen location instead of just assuming, and I'll do the research weeks before the shoot in order to avoid complications, and if the location falls through, I have time to secure another location.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and