Skip to main content

As Live Production: Research

While researching my idea for a chat show that features ordinary people with extraordinary stories, I read a few books on the subject of studio production, and found some interesting things. 


Studio Television Production and Directing - Andrew Hicks Utterback

- "The process of creating any television program begins with the desire to communicate." - pg 131
- This is important for me to think about as I want to keep the audience interested in my show, so telling a thrilliung story, or rather several stories, is going to be a very important aspect.


- "No matter how well written the news program may be, no matter how skilled and experienced the producing staff and anchors, the show will fail if the Director cannot coordinate the production effort." - pg 156

- This is going to be important to think about as well, as a Director is who has the final say in the decisions that make up a show



Television Production - 16th edition - Jim Owens

- "Although a single person can accomplish many roles, television still relies on teamwork. Results depend not only on each person knowing his or her own job, but also on his or her understanding of what others are trying to accomplish" - pg 4


- This is key, as a production team needs to work in perfect unison, especially on a live show. Communication between people is the most important, as if this falters by even a few seconds, then the whole show will most likely fail. This could be due to the VTs not being played at the right time, or the camera operators not having the next shot lined up correctly.


The original focus of our chat show idea was to feature people with mental or physical disabilities, and show that they have managed to succeed in their chosen paths despite the problems that they have had to face. To research this, I had a look at numerous websites that focused on people with various disabilities, even going so far as to write a draft letter to the agent of Jack Caroll, a young comedian who was on Britain's Got Talent in 2013, however, I didn't go through with this as I thought that this would be too big of a leap.


Here are some of the websites that I visited:


https://www.dadafest.co.uk/about-us/


https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2017/mar/29/a-dying-habit-why-the-average-bbc1-viewer-is-61



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graham_Norton_Show


I have also watched several clips on youtube of the shows 'The Graham Norton show' and 'Piers Morgan's Life Stories' to see how they have set up their chat show, and the types of techniques that the hosts use during the conversation, as well as the types of questions that they ask their guests and even the lighting set up. In Piers' show, I noticed that the audience is in the dark, with no light on them, while Piers and his guest are in a spotlight, which makes the show look professional, but also have a serious nature to it.

This is the complete opposite of 'The Graham Norton show', which has the audience in light, as well as the guests on the show. This show still has a very professional feel to it, but is taken in a more light hearted way, and the audience being in the light as well gives the sense of them being included in the conversation. This is more of the feel that I would want to go with for my chat show, as I feel that the audience would be more engaged with the show if they felt like they were a part of it. If they were in the dark, such as in Piers' show, they might feel neglected, so take less of an interest in the content of the show.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and