Skip to main content

Editing techniques

As I have only edited a few short films before, I felt like I needed to expand my knowledge on editing, so i researched some of the different techniques used, and why they are used to join certain shots together. One website that I found useful was 

https://blog.pond5.com/11099-13-creative-editing-techniques-every-video-editor-should-know/

This was because it has numerous examples of cuts, why they are used and also examples of films that they are in.

Commonly, some types of cuts are used to signify the passing of time, and this can be done using a cross dissolve, or it can use the overlapping layers to show multiple stories or scenes happening at once, but shot at different times. 

On the other hand, using an extended shot, one which is done in one take, can create different ideas in the audience of what is going to happen. One of the most famous examples of this is the Copacabana scene in 'Goodfellas'. This scene is expertly shot, but the use of it in one take helps to build the scene more, and caused the audience to be intrigued by the scene. 

One idea that my group had was to try and incorporate a shot transition taking place within the eye of one pf the characters. I had seen shots like this done before, but had never tried to edit one myself. When doing some research for this type of transition, I found a video that went through the processes of carrying out this transition very clearly and easily.




I also watched a few episodes of our original material, 'The Wrong Mans' , to get an idea of what the editing style was like in it, and decide if I would try and do something similar, or to try and edit the scenes that we film in my own way. I eventually decided to edit in my way, however to try and keep the feeling of the scenes that 

When editing a piece of film, it is important to have the pace of the edits reflect the pace of the action in the scene. If there is quite a lot of fast paced action or dialogue from several characters, then you will most likely need to use more frequent and straight cuts in order to maximise the amount of footage is shown. On the other hand, if there is not much action on screen during a scene, then fewer cuts are going to be needed, and this calmer approach to editing will perfectly reflect the calmness of the scene.

It is also a good idea to make multiple versions of your projects, as doing this will help you throughout the edit, as you can see what you have put together at different stages, and can compare different cuts, which could help you see if certain scenes, transitions or sounds work in certain scenes. You do not need to start by editing the final version straight away. Instead, start with making a rough cut, which is where you out the clips and audio together in a relatively rough way, just so that you and the director can get a rough idea as to how the film is going to look. from this, you can then start to fine tune the clips and audio. Do this numerous times, as you will always see something that can be tweaked on each of the times you and the director watches it. Also, it is a good idea, after doing a few versions so it looks more like a film, to get someone who hasn't seen it at all yet to watch it, as a fresh pair of eyes may help with picking up on things that you may have missed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and