Skip to main content

Editing sound

Editing sound can be quite difficult if you are unsure of how to do it effectively. There are some points where you may not be able to make a certain point on the sound track sync up with the video, or have to much background noise that the sound clip seems to be unusable. 

As sound hadn't been a key focus of mine in past projects, I bought some better headphones, as my previous pair were not good for sound editing, and I wanted to have the sound in this project better than my previous films. I also felt like I needed to research some techniques that professionals use so that I could edit sound on my current project to the best standard. 

I had used BBC Academy before to research various topics, and found them very reliable with the information that they contained, so I decided to try there first, and was not disappointed. Hilary Salmon, who has worked on sound design on numerous well known BBC programmes, offers some tips and tricks that she has learnt in order to capture clear sound, as sound problems are a consistent viewer complaint.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/production/television/sound/article/art20130702112135335

I also looked up some sound editing videos on Youtube, as despite it not being the most reliable tool to use for research, it can sometimes be very helpful. One of the best videos that I found was this, and was useful for several reasons. The first reason is that the software used in this video, Premiere Pro, is the software that I prefer to use, so the various steps taken in the video to deal with certain problems will be the same, or maybe only slightly different due to updates of the programme.


The second reason why I found this video helpful is that it covers a wide variety of techniques that you can use to make the sound in your clips better, like changing the gain on the audio clips, which is easy to do, to saving changes made to an audio clip as a preset, which I did not know you could do. This is useful as if I need to use similar settings later on in the project, or on a future project, then I can use the preset to change what I need quickly.

A final reason why I found this clip helpful is that the presenter of the clip, Nathaniel Dodson, goes through the steps of each of the techniques very clearly, and shows what he does on the screen, which helps me more than just being told what to do.

Depending on the quality of the sound during the shoot, whether it be to do with the actors or is just background noise, I may have to try foley sound in order to get the desired effect. This might be as simple as footsteps, or more advanced sounds, depending on the situation needed. I have done some foley sound before, but what I need to do to create the desired sound will have to depend on how the sound quality comes out, although I can still think about the ways that I may be able to achieve the desired sound.

If need be, I can also use Audacity to correct any sound that you have, as this is another great tool to use. It is simple to use, and I have used before in projects, so I feel confident about using it, which will hopefully be shown in my final project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and