Skip to main content

Fiction adaptation: What went well with the shoot

When the day of shoot came around, I had a shot list made to help me keep on track with all the shots that I needed to cover, and Alan, one of my actors, just down the road at my nan’s house, ready to come to the graveyard at a moment’s notice. I was expecting the shoot to last 2 hours, and I finished just under that, which was good, as I needed to keep to a schedule as I was filming between 14:00 and 16:00, so the sun was getting very low between those times, which would have made filming very difficult. Despite this however, I was able to work with the decreasing light, and even incorporate it into some shots. 

Before the shoot, I made the decision to have the whole film shot using a handheld camera instead of a tripod, as I wanted the uneasiness of the shots to try and evoke emotions in the audience. I did bring a tripod with me, as I was going to shoot the GVs as a Steadicam, but I decided against this idea as I felt that having this constant changing of shots would not look good in the final product

Both of my actors were very co-operative, with one of them, George, even suggesting some ideas for shots or actions that his character could be doing. This was very helpful as he thought of a couple things that I hadn’t, such as some facial expressions in several of the shots. Alan, my other actor, was also very compliant, and followed my directions very well. I would definitely use him again if I was to do this project again, or in a future project.


Due to there being a public pathway running through the graveyard, there were a few people that walked past over the course of the shoot, however they saw what we were doing and waited for us to finish the shot we were doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary unit: Script first draft

Documentary unit: Interview questions

 Kirsty interview Jackie interview

3rd Year Main Project: Pre-Production - Evaluation

Throughout the pre-production and production for my documentary, there are many things that I could have done better, but there are things that went really well. I feel like I managed to overcome the challenges that arose in a good manner, and also made some decisions that led to some very good results. The first thing that I could have done better is doing more thorough research, and trying harder to contact people from the club outside of club hours. If I had done this sooner, then I would have a better portfolio of more people who attend the club. I did manage to interview quite a few people at the club, both volunteer and customer, so I feel like I still had quite a good range of opinions, however it would have been good to broaden the types of questions that I asked them, such as what they did before coming to the club, or how they heard about the club. I feel like this would have been better to do as then the audience could build up more of a relationship to the characters, and